Considering a new deck?
Ideas racing through your head?
Where do you start?
Designing a deck can be a stressful task, but you can make the task easier by imagining yourself using the finished product.
- What will you use the deck for? Parties? Dining? Will you need separate areas for cooking, dining and conversation. How many people will you have on the deck at any given time? Make a list of must haves for your ideal deck.
- Look at the different areas from your list above as rooms. Cooking, Dining and conversation areas will need to have their own defined space. Be sure to allow ample space for chairs around tables and traffic paths so guests can easily maneuver the deck.
- What size deck do I need? Take the areas above and determine what size each would need to be to give you the perfect space. Maybe the cooking area is 10×10, dining area is 12×12, and the conversation is 12×12.
- What shape deck would you like? A rectangular deck is fine, but it would be much better to add angles or curves to give your deck a personalized feel.
At this point, you should be getting a better idea of what your deck needs to look like. The size, shape and style can now be transferred to a real working concept design. Take the areas (rooms) you defined in the exerciser above and use an online software to actually visualize your deck.
How to Turn Your Deck Idea into Reality
- Decks.com – Free designs software and free deck plans in exchange for your email. Basically they put this free information behind a membership area on their website. I signed up and have never been spammed or bothered in any manner by the company. The deck design software is really easy to use and will give you a great idea of how your new deck will look.
- Timbertech/Azek – The two products are both owned by Azek so they utilize the same Deck Designer Software. I really like this software because it allows you to actually use the products and colors you may be considering. The software also has accessories that you can add to the design. Add a grille, table and chairs to make sure you have made your design large. enough.
How much is the deck of my dreams going to cost?
If you have followed the instructions above you are probably at the point where you know how many square feet your deck needs to be. In our example above the deck size required to meet the homeowners needs would be 388 square feet.
I you want to get an idea of what this project will cost you, then you will need to determine the type of material you are going to use and whether you are building it yourself or using a deck contractor. I have written two articles to help with this decision.
Is there anywhere to see and touch the product options?
If you are located in the greater Cincinnati area, you are in the vicinity of one of the largest showrooms in the country. Trex, Tmbertech, Azek and Dekorators decking are all shown on display. Various railing from Aluminum, steel, composite and cable. There are plenty of samples to take home and make sure the color will compliment your current colors.
What one step can you take today?
You can grab a sheet of paper and go through the design exercise. When you ready to move forward just contact me to schedule your product selection in the showroom.