Why do you want a new entry door?
Does your current door let the cold air inside?
Can you see daylight around the edges of the door?
Are you noticing rot at the bottom of the door?
Is it just time to restore your home’s curb appeal?
Is replacing my entry door a good investment?
Before we get into the real cost of replacing your door, we should look at the return on investment of this home improvement project.
- The National Association of Realtors says that improving curb appeal is one of the top 5 most valuable upgrades you can make.
- HGTV lists updating your home’s entry door as one of the best investments you could make on a budget to increase the value of your home.
- Better Homes and Gardens lists upgrading your front door as the first thing you can do to increase your home’s resale value.
- Select an ENERGY STAR® certified doors to reduce your energy bills by up to 15%.
Watch the video below to see how a new entry door can increase your home’s perceived value.
What all is involved in pricing a door?
When you begin looking for someone to replace your door you will need to make sure that everyone is on the same page. You need to verify that you are comparing apples to apples, so nothing gets missed.
- Door Unit – Of course the first thing you need to do is choose a door style. I recommend homeowner’s look at Masonite and ThermaTru fiberglass doors. These two companies represent the majority of fiberglass door sales in the Cincinnati market, and both have a great selection.
- Door Glass – The decorative glass in these doors drive the price. Pick a glass that compliments your home and door style. Make sure that you are okay with the visibility through the glass. Imagine your home at night and how easy (or hard) it will be to see into the home.
- Pre-finishing – For best results, I highly recommend that you have the entry unit pre-finished at the factory. Most companies offer this service and you have unlimited color options. Factory staining or painting can carry 5 to 10-year warranties, so make sure you know what you’re getting. One important thing to consider is most companies will not warranty the paint on any wooden surface, (like the door frame) or exterior trim.
- Installation – This is probably the biggest challenge when purchasing a new entry door. Who is going to install the door? You do proper vetting of any individual that will install a door. The whole future of the unit will be decided by this person. The door must be square and plumb, but also proper flashing will be a must. The installer must be help responsible to follow the manufactures installation instructions to a T.
- Entry Hardware – Don’t forget your lock set. You can expect to pay between $150 – $250 for most entry handle sets. Of course, this amount can go higher based on your taste. Make sure you have the lock set ready to go at the time of installation.
Here is a video that covers the selection and installation of a ThermaTru door.
How much is my door going to cost me?
I want to give homeowner’s enough information to at least have a budgeted dollar amount for their new entry door. Many variables will factor into the price of your door, but I have compiled a few examples that should provide you with a better idea of cost.
My examples are priced using Masonite doors. I have only quoted fiberglass doors and I intentionally have selected a full composite frame. The composite frame will allow you to have the best warranty on all painted or stained surfaces.
- Example #1 – This door is a standard 36″ x 80″ stained fiberglass door with glass. Here is the detailed quote for Example #1. The total price for this unit, pre-finishing, installation and lock set is $3104.00 plus tax.
- Example #2 – This door is the same style and glass as example #1 but is a painted door. Here is the detailed quote for Example #2. The total price for this unit, pre-finishing, installation and lock set is $2727.00 plus tax.
- Example #3 – This door is stained fiberglass 36″ x 80″ door with two side lights. Here is the detailed quote for Example #3. The total price for this unit, pre-finishing, installation and lock set is $6799.00 plus tax.Example #4 – This door is the same as example #3 but is a painted door. Here is the detailed quote for Example #4. The total price for this unit, pre-finishing, installation and lock set is $5839.00 plus tax.
What one step can you take today?
If you are planning on replacing your entry door and need my assistance, please reach out through my email at [email protected]